Or is it Banana Cake?
This is a great example of how consumer perception can completely change, as a result of a single word.
This example alone tells you the importance of a Name. Whether it’s a brand name or a product name.
I am not suggesting you mislead your consumer. I am suggesting you take the time to think deeper about the name you give to your brands and products.
The difference a name can make
- Creating momentum amongst the people in the business so they want to get behind the brand/product.
- The Customer / Consumer – You want them to get a good feel for your brand/product as quickly as possible, or at the very least, feel intrigued to want to know more.
- Working with inspiring partners – Inspiring people want to work with inspiring people. Does the name inspire?
- Stand out on Shelf – Applicable to both products and services. When it comes to the digital environment, stand out is even more important because you are potentially competing in a global market.
Product Naming – 10 things to consider
- What is the first feeling/thought you would like the consumer to have? Does the name support this?
- Will it resonate with the target market? Do they get it? Can they say it? Can they spell it? Will they remember it?
- Is the name aligned with the desired positioning of the brand/product?
- Is the name unique, memorable, blends in, spikes interest, classical, contemporary, innovative, nostalgic… what’s the story? The direction you take will be based on your Strategy.
- How will you support the name, e.g. design elements, tagline, associations?
- How will you create talk-ability? How will the name help you do this?
- What call-outs / claims will you make or can make, and how does this fit with the product name?
- If you have a big vision, can the name grow within the vision? I.e. something that isn’t so specific, that allows for future movement within your business model.
- Consider how the name works cross-culturally. If you are online, you have access to a global marketplace.
- Do you love the name? Will you love it for a long time? Make sure you have an emotional connection to the name. It will keep you pumped.
Also don’t forget to:
- Trademark your product name
- Secure the domain & social media channels
- Ascertain the SEO potential and/or limitations